Monday, January 21, 2008

Little Bruiser

When we have retreats, meal time can be tricky for the kids. They often play in the stockroom or in a lounge so they aren't in the way of the meal preparation. Well, Saturday evening, after dinner was over and we were all busy cleaning, the kids decided to play in a lounge. They were being good and enjoying themselves. Suddenly I heard Daniel crying and rushed to see what was going on (primarily because he was being loud and the retreat group was having a worship session in the loft...not that I don't care about their cries, but generally it's nothing...trust me I'm not a negligent parent).
This is how the conversation with Daniel went...
Me: "Daniel, shhhh...the group is meeting in the loft. We have to be quiet so we don't disturb them. Now, what happened?"
Daniel: "I fell."
Me: "How?"
Daniel: "The lights were all off and I fell off of the chair and hit the floor."
Me: "Where did you hit?"
Daniel: "On the floor."
Me: "No, where on your body did you hit."
Daniel: "My face."
Me, after kissing his face multiple times: "Do you need to sit in the kitchen for a little while or do you want to go back and play some more?"
Daniel: "Play."
Me: "Okay. Wait, Daniel, why were the lights off?"
Daniel: "I turned them off."
Me: "Please don't do that anymore, okay?"
Daniel: "okay."

So, he went back to playing and I went back to cleaning. About 20 minutes later, he came into the kitchen of the dining hall where we were all finishing up. I took one look at his face and gasped. His left cheekbone was pretty swollen and he had a nice bruiser under his eye. I had no idea the extent of his injury when I asked him to be quiet and then dismissed him to go back and play. Here are pictures...

It was worse the second day...(like the face he made when I told him I wanted to take a picture of his bruise? Oh, Daniel!)

He's been really good about it. He has hardly complained about it at all. I think it must look worse than it is. (I have to admit, though, I wondered if it was more than just a ugly bruise.)
He is currently in the next room making up a song about how awesome God is and how He has healed his face and how nice that is of Him. Child-like faith...no wonder it is so pleasing to God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the face he makes haha.. but his poor face wow.. did he think he was in a pool and dived onto the floor? wow.

Saragarms said...

I love that boy. He needs to stop getting hurt. Anyway, hope to see you guys soon.

Mandie said...

Oh my goodness! That looks horrible! Glad he's okay. He's quite the tough cookie!

So I've been thinking about when I'm going to get to visit you. Sledding at your house sounds like fun, so sooner rather than later I guess.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That is going to get uglier before it gets better, most likely. Good thing he's so cute; he should be able to pulloff the 'bruiser look' with his 'coolness' intact!

Anonymous said...

ouch...that has to hurt. poor guy.