Monday, August 18, 2008

A Conversation With Julia

The other afternoon, Julia came to me and said, "Mommy, my toes are dirty betuz I fell off the montey bars."
Now, I thought she said "clothes," so I said, "That's okay, honey, I'll put them in the washing machine later and they'll come clean."
Julia: "You mean, the bathtub?"
Me: "No, the washing machine."
Julia: "You're going to put ME in the washing machine????"
Me: "No...oh, did you say clothes or toes?"
Julia: "toes."
Me: "Oh, sorry, I thought you said clothes. No, I'm not going to put you in the washing machine. We'll wash your toes in the bathtub."

I thought it was funny how she' completely stayed with me throughout the whole conversation, even though I hadn't heard her correctly. She's just a little over two and a half, but her speech is impressive.
I hope this story brought a smile to your face like it did to mine...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too Cute!

Ivy dressed herself today. Red, gold and blue shirt with pink pastel jeans sporting lavender flowers. "How do I look?" she saked.

Thinking she wanted a pat on the back for her combination, I said, honestly, "You look cute." and smiled.

"Nope." she corrected me.

What? Then I realized it was a guessing game. She already knew the answer. "Beautiful?", I tried again.

"Yes!" Big smile.

Anonymous said...

Wait, not "saked". Make that "asked". :-)