Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Jay's First Missing Tooth

On Sunday Jay discovered that his tooth was extremely loose. Being that this is his first to go, it pretty much made his day. He was so excited that today might be the day it fell out. I encouraged him to keep wiggling it with his tongue so that it would be ready soon.
Well, today Jay asked his Dad to step in and assist the process with a pair of pliers (I guess the suspense was just too much). On the second tug, the tooth came out. He proudly showed it to his siblings (Daniel was especially interested). We then put it in a tooth box and he put it under his pillow.
Since Hannah lost her first tooth, I have jokingly told the kids that when they lose a tooth that then I "put on my tooth fairy skirt, pick up my tooth fairy wand and skip down the hall to put a surprise under your pillow." They think it's hilarious, picturing me skipping down the hall all dressed up. Jay brought it up tonight as he was carefully placing the tooth box under his pillow.
He's upstairs now, sleeping, anxiously awaiting what the "tooth fairy" will bring.
Tomorrow I'll post a picture of his new smile. Oh, that missing tooth is going to make him look older...*sigh*

2 comments:

Mandie said...

Congrats, Jay!!! Can't wait to see the picture!

Melissa E. said...

The tooth fairy is the one fairy tale person I perpetuate the belief in. I don't know why but I think it's because I enjoy watching the girls try and catch me in the act!

I also enjoy coming up with convincing arguments when they say things like, "Well, if there's a tooth fairy then how....?" Hee Hee!

Santa clause, on the other hand: I don't make the "He doesn't exist" argument but I just try and be elusive--answering questions with questions and changing the subject and that sort of thing. I never say that he brings presents (hey! I buy them, I should get the credit, right?!) And we don't even bother to give the Easter bunny or the Great pumpkin the time of day!

I like to think of it as training them to be good apologists...or something like that. Anyway, that sounds better than "playing with their minds" which is really where my fun is!

By the way, I am hoping to see a picture of you in your tooth fairy duds on here one of these days. I have often told the girls that I know the tooth fairy personally. (I was forced to resort to this at one point as an explanation for my otherwise unexplainable knowledge of her ways!)